Find out more

Who We help

Police Children’s Fund may provide financial assistance to the children of:

A serving officer who has died (on or off duty)

A retired officer who has died

A medically retired officer where the cause is on or off duty

A serving officer whose partner has died

Special constables where there has been a death on duty

An officer must have been serving with one of our 22 contributing police forces at the time of death, retirement or medical retirement. Where an officer served with one of these forces but transferred to a non-contributing force, the officer or family will be signposted to charities covered by that force.

The Application Process

An officer or their partner may apply to the Fund directly or via an official force representative.

Where a serving or retired officer has died and all criteria is met, the family may be immediately registered for a weekly allowance.

Medically retired officers are required to submit an application form at the outset for the trustees to establish financial need. This also applies where the partner of a serving officer has died.

All families in receipt of weekly assistance are required to submit an annual review form as financial need must be established.

How it Works

The object of a weekly allowance is to help with educational expenditure such as school uniform, books, sports kit and clubs/hobbies.

Families in receipt of a weekly allowance can also apply for educational grants towards school trips, computers, driving lessons and school holiday activities which have an educational or developmental benefit.

Receipts must be provided when making an application and grants are awarded at the discretion of the trustees. Financial assistance towards a mental health support grant is also available to every beneficiary.

Where financial need for a weekly allowance cannot been established, the children continue as beneficiaries of the Fund and may be eligible for celebratory gift payments and mental health support grants.

Additional Help

Beneficiaries who move on to university may apply for an annual higher education grant to the completion of one degree, including a masters.

All beneficiaries are eligible for celebratory gift payments and mental health support grants at the trustees’ discretion.

Please visit our Available Grants page for more information.

Making a Difference

Whether it be a birthday payment, educational grant or weekly allowance, the help provided by Police Children’s Fund can make a huge difference to a family who have experienced a significant change in their lives.

I really don’t know how to say thank you enough for awarding me the higher education grant, it will have immeasurable impact on my experience of my last year at university.

The charity really has been a lifeline for us as a family with the support received over the years

I just wanted to thank you for your continued support this year with the children’s Christmas and birthday presents. We really appreciate all your hard work and the charities kindness.